Friday, March 15, 2013

The Fabric of Our Lives




The familiar song lyrics of the cotton commercial, “the touch, the feel, the fabric of our lives” causes me to reflect on the quilt pictured here.  Year after year as Carl has worked on the farm, he has worn out many pairs of jeans. And even though they are ripped and stained, I can’t bring myself to throw them out. So I cut and stitch them together with other pieces of fabric and throughout the years a quilt has evolved.

Many times I’ve looked at the old jean squares and wondered sometimes what all Carl must have done in a day to create their unique look. Was he fixing fence that day? Was he wrestling hay bales another? Was he cleaning out stalls or feeding feed? Maybe he was trimming a horse’s hooves or riding a green broke horse. I’ll never know, but I do know this quilt will have special meaning when it is completed for it will represent the hankies he uses in the summer on a dusty day, the livestock he cares for on a daily basis and the Wrangler jeans he wears when working.

No comments:

Post a Comment